This is long overdue. I was supposed to write about this a long time ago, but it’s ok… I’m doing it now.
Depression is something I wanted to talk about to you guys because it is something that has affected me all my life. Whether that be with me directly or having to deal with it from people in my life. Depression is something that effects a lot of people, some know it, some don’t. The key is to know when it’s starting to creep on you and how to stomp it out. I use the word creep because that’s how I would describe it. It’s not the feeling of suddenly becoming sad, it really is something that slowing consumes you.
So what exactly is depression?
I have no idea. Is it the emotion of just being sad and down? Or is it an actual mental thing?
Well, let me tell you what I think. Being sad, feeling down and having depression is all a mental thing. Everything goes back to your mind. Of course, there are different levels to how you feel, so sadness could be a lower level and depression could be a higher level. But at the end of the day if you are feeling some type of way, whether it be a weak or stronger feeling, something is happening and only YOU can do something to change it.
Now don’t let me fool you, taking action and fighting against your own self is the MOST difficult thing. Fighting with another person always seems hard, but at the end of the day, you can cut them off. You can tell them to go away, you can put the phone down, you can block them. You can call the police, you can run away. But when you are fighting with yourself, there is nowhere to run. You cannot just block out your mind or cut off your emotions. You are within yourself and there is nowhere to run. And that my dears… is depression. (for me) The fucking trap that is your mind and its got you by the balls/ovaries, as you run around and around trying to escape. Deep right? I guess that’s what leads to people committing suicide. The feeling of not having anywhere to go or no way out. But…
Now dealing with depression is something that I’m still working on. Getting my mind right and being happy is the number one goal in life. Me before anything.
So what can you do to combat these feelings?
- Find out what’s making you feel like 💩💩This can be hard because sometimes you don’t even know what’s making you feel that way. It could be a certain person. It could be a certain place. Or something as simple as a smell, that just makes you feel down. (which sounds crazy but really is possible) For me, it’s my surroundings. I don’t like feeling trapped or crowded in. Which is one of the reasons why I’m bad with people. The idea of being stuck or limited to one place makes me in easy. I combat this with simply going outside. It doesn’t matter where you are in the world, you can be outside. Some places are better than some, but never the less, being outside is a luxury most people have. Just open the door and walk to the park. One of the most beautiful things you can witness is the sunset/sunrise. And it’s free!! That right there can heal any soul. Sit on the bench or in the dirty grass and just breath. That is my way of freedom. So right now, I’m writing this on my phone at my nan’s house and everyone is talking, making noise. So I decided to go out in the garden and breath. Anti-social yes, but I feel better now. Whenever I used to feel down at uni, because I was all alone, in a box room with no money. I would walk up to this beautiful place, where you could see the London skyline and watch the sunset. That right there was peace.
- Surround yourself with people who want the best for you. Now I always go on about this, but fake friends and fake relationships are toxic. Cut that shit out man… SAY IT WITH ME…. CUT THAT SHIT OUT. If you’re dealing with your own stuff and people are not understanding or making it worse. Then how is that going to help you, my dear? IF IT DOES NOT MAKE YOU HAPPY… CUT IT OUT.
- Combat a negative action with two positive ones. Because why not double up on the positivity. Cancel out the negativity and start feeling good.
- Stop backing out of situations that you really want to do, but are too scared to. Everyone has their own goals and aspirations. And if you want to do something. Go do it. It’s all about your happiness, remember? If you want to make music, make music. If you want to learn Spanish, go learn Spanish. If you want to do something, go do it. I really want to travel and that’s what I’m going to do. (I just need the money.😂😂) Because again it goes back my idea if freedom. Short story is, don’t be afraid to push yourself.
- Don’t be afraid to talk about your feelings. This is something most men struggle with. You’re out here tryin be “the man”, but that stuff impacts your relationships. How can your partner and your friends and everyone else be understanding if they don’t know what you’re going through. I mean just because you tell people how you’re feeling, doesn’t mean they are going to be understanding. But it could help. You don’t have to sit there crying but just saying… “Hey, my mind isn’t in a good place, right now and I’m just going to need some time to get it right” The amount of relationships that have broken down because of the lack of communication of someone’s feelings.
- Make the most out of the little things. Instead of letting things get you down, whatever they may be. Try and be optimistic… Which a lot of people find disgusting, with all that happy nonsense. Of course be realistic, but it works with me. Things are bad, yes, but, things can always be better. It’s easy for me to say this, because of my life. And I understand for a lot of people around the world, things aren’t just going to get better. But hey…. I’m just being optimistic.
Some people say depression is all about being a victim. A victim to yourself maybe? 🤔🤔 But trust me, you have the power to change it and make it better.
So remember to identify the reason for your depression if you can…. It may be something about yourself you’re not happy with. Counter that with a positive action or two. And just keep going.
Comment below and let me know what you think. I like hearing your opinions. Agree? Disagree? Ways you cope with depression… Let me know.
And until next time. Stay blessed.